The Action and Outreach Unit facilitates the active expression of the aims and objectives of the Mothers’ Union. Through the work of this unit our shared Christian faith and life are seen in action in parishes, in our communities and globally
The Overseas Contact maintains connections with our link Dioceses of Finarantsoa in Madagascar; Central Tanganykia in Tanzania; Calabar in Nigeria; Igbomina in Nigeria and Banks & Torres in Vanuatu.
The Overseas Contact highlights Mothers’ Union work in these areas through our annual overseas meeting and also coordinates the annual fundraising for Overseas and Relief work.
Our Irish link diocese is the Diocese of Limerick & Killaloe.
- There is an on going supply of emergency toiletries to the four main hospitals in the joint dioceses.
- Knitwear is made for newborn and premature babies and Trauma Teddies are appreciated by children and hospital personnel.
- Fiddle Blankets and Prayer Shawls are presented to individuals at home and in Nursing Homes.
- Volunteers help in the Foyle Child Contact Centre.
- Branch projects are varied and include emergency supplies to Women’s Aid Centres.
- Members highlight domestic abuse and gender based violence, through their ongoing participation in the 16 Days of Activism.
In the Derry and Raphoe Dioceses, we have three trained facilitators: Their role is to support and guide parents within a group. Through this guidance parents then learn to use respectful communication skills with their children. Good parenting skills are an important part of family life and a constant learning process.
The Young Members Contact organises events to support young couples in their married life and facilitates families to come together and enjoy activities organised by the Mothers’ Union.